Saturday, July 6, 2019


Post 119

FREEDOM WITH THE SERENITY PRAYER



God,

grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change,

  courage to change the things I can,

and wisdom to know the difference.

Over the past few months, I have heard a number of people referring to the “Serenity Prayer” as their guiding strength in recovery.  Indeed, these words of Reinhold Niebuhr hold forth a very practical formula for attaining – and maintaining – healing and wholeness from an addictive lifestyle.  This week during our national July 4th holiday, there has been much talk about freedom – from captivity, dictatorships, violence, and poverty.  The more I heard, the more I broadened such circumstances to the condition of addiction.  Certainly, within each situation of addiction (no matter the form), individuals are held in a state of control – and dictated by - his/her dependence on the drug, substance, and/or activity (process addictions) … though personal denial often masks this. 

Moreover, the violence (yes, violence) of addiction to the body, mind, and spirit can rob the person of freedom to live a life of self-control, peace, and inner strength.  Relationships suffer too: loved ones and associates experience captivity, as well, wrought by the response to addiction by their family member or friend.   

Looking over the prayer’s words, I begin to see an independence from pattern for recovery. For this edition of the GRM Blog, I offer mindsets commonly held within addiction that when transformed by recovery, freedom is gained (shown by italics)!   

GOD, GRANT ME 

Independence from … believing that the God of the universe may be there but I don’t feel this presence in my life.

God’s universal awareness does include me and my life; I can enter into communication with God; God wants to restore persons - so I can ask for divine help.    

THE SERENITY TO ACCEPT THE THINGS I CANNOT CHANGE

Independence from … God will never forgive; other relationships are broken; there are too many wrongs to forgive me; debts have piled up impossibly high.

God does forgive; God cares; God will help in multiple ways by giving direction, strength, and peace to acknowledge the past … and understandings of how the role of addiction and other factors have impacted me.

COURAGE TO CHANGE THE THINGS I CAN

Independence from … change?  This is not the right time to go through withdrawal – I have too much stress now in my life; I tried quitting before - I’m too scared!

Divine help not only includes courage but also resources, persons, and miraculous strength to accomplish my healing in recovery – and a new lifestyle of wholeness, love, and inner peace.

AND WISDOM TO KNOW THE DIFFERENCE

Independence from … what would my life be like without fill-in-the-blank: it’s the only way I can relax / enjoy myself / escape and not feel anything.

God will, also, grant divine insights and wisdom in order to discern what is healthily accomplishable and what is not so that I can be at peace with recognizing and accepting the difference.  This gained wisdom will help me in the future to make wise decisions and let go of regrets.  

May you experience a true Independence Day of Recovery!
  Blessings!
Rev. Janet Jacobs, CCGSO
Founding Director
Gambling Recovery Ministries
htpps:// www.grmumc.org

    For more information on problem gambling and recovery issues, visit:                                                                                                                                                      










                                                                                                                            

No comments:

Post a Comment